Saturday, August 2, 2008

Masters of Horror: Dance of the Dead (2005)

Director: Tobe Hooper

Synopsis: Post-apocalyptic view of the world post zombie outbreak.

My Take: I always enjoy seeing different visions of how life will be like after a zombie attack. This one doesn't disappoint. Perhaps a commentary on how the real world is progressing, most of the youth are demoralized and driven by primal urges and survival. Meanwhile a minority is holding on to nostalgia of a more civilized time.

A band of the
baddies encounter Peggy, a sheltered girl working in her mom's diner, and bring her along for a night of mayhem.

Robert Englund is disgustingly creepy as the emcee of The Doom Room - the bar/club/whatever that our group ends up at.

I didn't completely understand what the "zombie rules" were in this one, as we are only given clues about their nature.


Thank god this episode is not about prom night gone wrong. I won't spoil what the title is all about, but take it literal. And it involves cattle prods....

This was my first MoH experience and it was good enough to keep me coming back.

The Rundown:
  • Worst Casting: The casting director must have been high on the MC's zombie juice when he/she chose Jonathan Tucker as Jak (the male lead). Terrible. Completely unconvincing.
  • I saw that coming: From the beginning we are made to wonder what happened to Peggy's sister. The twist near the end is hardly a surprise.
  • Most disgusting scene: How do I say this? Robert Englund...zombies...oral sex...
Rating:

No comments: