Friday, July 4, 2008

Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Director: George A. Romero


Synopsis: On the heels of the outbreak that started in Night of the Living Dead, two soldiers, a helicopter pilot, and a woman head to a mall in their helicopter. First they must bunker in, then collect supplies from the stores in the mall. They almost have everything under control when a band of marauders come to ransack the mall.

My Take: Unlike the 2004 remake, the zombies have swarmed the mall, adding to the danger and overall creepiness of this film. I also like how Romero decided to tell the story over a longer period of time (rather than one night in Night). Much more stuff was able to happen.

This is my favorite in Romero's Dead series and is one of my favorite zombie flicks of all time. The characters had more time to assess the situation they were in, and this really didn't cause the movie to drag. They were smart (for the most part). If something like a zombie outbreak is going down, the mall makes a nice temporary base of operation. We see the characters getting through all the types of obstacles you might imagine they would face.

The Rundown:
  • Worst part: The young soldier pissed me off. I am surprised the others didn't let him fend for himself after he kept acting like a fool.
  • I saw that coming: The helicopter pilot teaches his girlfriend to fly the helicopter. I'll bet THAT comes in handy...
Rating:

No comments: